2019/03 - Coffee For Coders
I've noticed over the course of several years that almost EVERY SINGLE DEVELOPER I've encountered enjoys a morning cup of coffee. I gone through quite a few cups in my time, so I figured I'd give my take on everyones favourite hot brown liquid!
- Coffee have a lifespan of 8-12 hours in your system. So if you're having trouble sleeping, try curtailing any coffee drinking after noon or just sticking to tea or decaf. Drinking at night means you'll have disturbed sleep (If you sleep at all).
- You should only be consuming about 400mg of caffeine, which is just shy of three regular starbucks coffee's. Drinking around/more of that won't give you the same boost as your first coffee, and will likely just make you very anxious.
- Some people cannot drink coffee at all and will feel sick just by smelling the stuff (And no, I don't know what happens when they actually drink the stuff!). Most people have a normal tolerance, a small amount of people can consume an ungodly amount of caffeine that runs straight through their system, and the aforementioned poor feckers in an even smaller section of the general population will actually get sick from the stuff. I've read that they basically experience the same thing that lactose intolerant people do when they eat dairy, but couldn't find the link to back this up. I did have a former co-worker that fit this description to a tee though.
- Coffee is a laxative and diuretic, but does not actually dehydrate you. It just speeds up the flushing out of waste that was going in a few hours anyway. That said, you will feel tired after too much coffee.
- For gods sake don't have a coffee and skip breakfast! You WILL experience a drop in blood sugar and feel very tired after a few hours!
My own personal take is that one is absolutely fine. Make sure you drink a glass of water ten minutes beforehand (It takes 8-10 minutes for half a pint of water to be absorbed into your system) if you're unsure. Drinking two may lead to several trips to the bathroom over the course of a day, and three is just asking for trouble. As with all things, moderation is key...
For me, one coffee when I get into work is ideal. I sometimes drink more than one, then I'm sleepy and in a slightly worse mood for the rest of the day. So I've recently started drinking tea instead after lunch!
Thanks for reading,